Monday, November 24, 2008

Series and Parallel Circuits


In Science we have been learning about electrical circuits. We built series and parallel circuits in a recent lab and explored removing a bulb from each to observe what would happen. We learned that in a series circuit, if one bulb burns out or is missing, then the circuit will open and none of the lights will remain lit. This is because there is only one path for electric current to flow with this kind of circuit. We also learned that any bulb in the path of a series circuit receives the same amount of electrical current. With parallel circuits, on the other hand, there is more than one path for electrical current to flow. Therefore, if one bulb burns out, the other bulbs will still remain lit. Check out our slideshow to see more pictures of this lab (in the right-hand column of our blog).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I still remember when I did this in fourth grade. It was so much fun!

Lindsay (former student of Ms. Phillips and Ms. Lopez)

Anonymous said...

I really thought that the series and the parellel circuts were really fun.The reason why I said that was because I really like scientific stuff including potions and electricity and other scientific stuff. -KIALARP#8 PS:I might be a science teacher when I grow up.

Dorry Lopez said...

Lindsay-girl,
You were such a great student, so engaged in your learning, and very appreciative of everything that you were taught! We miss you girl! Thank you for allowing us to teach you and to get to know your angelic personalty.

Love,
Mrs. Lopez-Sinclair

Anonymous said...

I really liked doing the series and parallel circuits,but it was hard in a way because their were so much wires to deal with and i thought that my peers at my table were going to break it. So I was pretty freaked out. I wish we can do another one soon just not with alot of wires!!:)

-Kristin B.ML#3:)Happy thanksgiving!!!!!:)

Anonymous said...

I had so much fun doing those different curcuits my favorite was the paralell curcuit. It was pretty hard at my table but, we managed to do it. I hope we can do that again soon.

-Abby #23

Anonymous said...

Hello grade 4! It sounds like you learned a lot about circuits! It looks like you had fun! Were they hard to do?

Anonymous said...

janine they were very hard to build but we all managed to do it.

-abby

Anonymous said...

-MMORGANrp5


IT WAS HARD!!!!!!!!!It was also very fun. I loved making circuts.

Anonymous said...

Series circuts and parallel circuts were fun to learn about.
I learned a lot when we learned about sereis circuts and parellel circuts.


ML#10 Grace

Anonymous said...

It was hard like Abbers said. Also,I agree with Grace you guys both are right.It was hard too I guess ,but I had fun doing it and learning about it.