Monday, November 10, 2008

Fractions are Fun!

Our current math unit, Different Shapes, Equal Pieces, concentrates on the use of an area model for fractions less than one whole. In this unit, we are also studying fractions in terms of "families". For example, one-half, one-fourth, and one-eighth are all in the same family. This is due to the doubling and halving relationship between these fractions. When the denominator doubles, the area of the fraction (in the area model) cuts in half. Look at the visual.

One-half of 16 is 8 square units.
One-fourth of 16 is 4 square units.
One-eighth of 16 is 2 square units.

Through the use of this area model, we are also recognizing equivalent fractions as well as combinations of fractions and their sums.

One-half is equal to two-fourths and is equal to four-eighths.
One-fourth + one-fourth has the sum of one-half.
One-eighth + one-eighth has the sum of one-fourth.


The next "family" we will work with is one-third, one-sixth, and one-twelfth.
Can you determine, using doubling and halving, what the NEXT fraction in this family is?

14 comments:

Nicole VanCaeseele said...

Hey guys!
Have fun learning about fractions (you will use them for the rest of your lives!) It sounds like you have a good handle on what they are. Good luck on the rest of your unit, I know you all will do wonderful!

Anonymous said...

The fractions that wedid were so FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I hope we do it again SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,Tatiana AP#11

Sherrie Rabe said...

Hi Mrs. Phillips,

Love this entry about fractions!! Can I borrow this for my blog????

Mrs. Rabe
soon to be any way hee hee
aka Ms. Anderson

Anonymous said...

The fractions were so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!
I learned a lot.


Grace ML#10

Anonymous said...

I love learning stuff about fractions.It is so fun.


~Alexis A.
ML#1

Anonymous said...

Fractions are so cool.I think it is cool because,I thought that 1/6 was bigger than 1/3.the reason why i thought that was 6 was bigger than 3 and 3 is half of 6.So that's what i thought before but, not anymore.

Anonymous said...

wow a lot of cool fractions!!!!!!!!




heather#16

Anonymous said...

I think that the next fraction will be 1/24
From:Arielle DL#18

Anonymous said...

love fractions.....interesting lesson.....thank you for making learning fun.


morgan's grandma

Anonymous said...

Hello, this is Janine from the University of Regina. It looks like you are learning a lot about fractions! They are very helpful to know! Especially if you ever cook or bake! Good luck as you continue to learn about them!

Anonymous said...

I think that the next fraction family wiil be one-twentyfourth.I just used the doubling and halving rule.



Lauren S. DL #16

Anonymous said...

I never knew that 1/8 + 1/8 equaled 1/4 but now i do.Also i did not know that fractions are the other way around for example 12+12 equals 6 so as you can see i learned a lot about fractions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Kristin B.:) ML#3

Happy thanksgiving on Thursday!!!!:)

Anonymous said...

the fractions we did were loads of awsomnis i loved them.
love monica rp#6 november 24 2008

Anonymous said...

I'm surly glad that you put this post HERE,because I really did not understand fractions that much;including my family members. PS:I'm really glad that were starting a fraction project,now that I'm getting to know fractoins a bit BETTER. ALSO I LOVE YOU MRS.PHILLIPS AND MR.PINCOT. YOUR REALLY THE BEST TWO TEACHERS I EVER SEES;EVEN THOUGH I'M NEW TO THIS SCHOOL.-KIALA RP#8