Monday, February 14, 2011

GRAB your READER



In writing, we have been working on many ways to make our writing more creative, and fun for the reader. One way to do this is by starting our piece with a grabber. A grabber is an opening sentence (or sometimes two!) that immediately captures the reader's attention. It flows naturally into the beginning of the piece. For example, lets say I was writing an expository piece about an animal that I would choose as a class pet. I might write something like this:


Some classrooms have gerbils, some have fish, but if I could choose a pet for my classroom I'd be way more creative than that! If I had my choice, we would have a monkey as a classroom pet.


Do you see how the grabber (in purple) immediately captures your attention? It leads right into the beginning (in grey), which tells us what the expository piece is going to be about.



There are many different strategies for writing grabbers. Here are a few we have been working on:


  • SCENERIO

  • VOICE

  • MYSTERY

  • OPINION

  • ONOMATOPOEIA

  • DIALOGUE

  • GLOBAL STATEMENT/SPECIFIC STATEMENT

  • RHETORICAL QUESTION

  • FUNNY STATEMENT

Behavior Buck Challenge: Read the prompt below and comment with 2 different grabber/beginnings that would go with the prompt. You will earn $50.00 Behavior Bucks for finishing this challenge.

We have all lost something, or know someone who has lost something.

Before you begin writing, think about a time when you or someone else lost something.

Write to tell what happened the time you or someone else lost something.



17 comments:

Alex Bertozzi said...

Voice ROCKS!Its so my best.

Alex Bertozzi said...

Voice ROCKS!Its so my best.

Alex Bertozzi said...

Voice ROCKS!Its so my best.

Alex Bertozzi said...

Voice ROCKS!Its so my best.

Anonymous said...

1.Has your friend ever lost something that was super important to her?Well,I have.

2."Madison,where did you lose my necklace?"Thats what my friend Katelyn said to me when I lost her necklace.

Madison ML18

Anonymous said...

have you ever lost anything? I have. It was my favorite jacket! Why would I bring it to school?


" MOM! I lost my jacket!How could I be so forgetful?

- amber w

Anonymous said...

Have you ever lost your favorite earing?Thats what once happened to me.

"how could I lose them"I said worried,looking for my gold earing on the huge playgronud.

Anonymous said...

1. "i was supposed to take care of him , but i lost him. he's gone! GONE!" i said , staring at the empty dog hose. "NOOOOOOOOO!!!"

2. have you ever lost something you have had all your life? i have.
and it was NOT good.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever lost something that was really important to you?Well,I have.

"Where did my earing go!"I said in worried voice.

Anonymous said...

Uh,oh! I just lost my Nintendo DS. I'll never forget that nightmare of me loosing my DS.

I'd rather be stung by a million ants than to loose my DS. I shouldn't have been playing with my friends with my DS in my pocket.

Katelyn.P

Anonymous said...

1. Has your mom and dad ever lost the ipod? Mine has.


2."Mom,dad!You lost the ipod."i yelled at the top of my lungs.


Emilyo :)

Anonymous said...

have you ever lost your favorite CD i defentily have.

2.''MOM,where is my CD ''? i said in a worried voice.

(keyandra) :)

Anonymous said...

Have you ever lost something so important to you.Well I have and man it is totaly not my thing.loseing my ipod is so embaresing!!!!!!!!!!



love sophia

Anonymous said...

have you ever lost your favorite
stuffed animal? I have and it was a
total desaster!!!!!!!!!!!!
maddie,8

janvi p said...

-the day that i lost my i-pod was the worst day in my lifes history
-"oh man,i lost my favorite i-pod
-i will never forget the day that i got yelled at for loosing a very costly i-pod

janvip said...

that prompt was hard the grabbers were really hard

Anonymous said...

the 5th comment was from nathan s. sorry!