Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cultivating Reading Skills on the Computer!




This year the county has supplied us with several different websites that students can go to from home to enhance their learning.

1.Compass Odyssey:

https://odyssey.duvalschools.org/childu/index.html?SSL=1

This is a wonderful web based learning program that motivates today’s students to engage, think & learn. The lessons are creative and will keep students interested and receptive to learning. The best part about this program is that teachers can assign individual lessons depending on what each student needs. After a student finishes a lesson, the teacher can view the work that they have done. The students also have immediate access to the progress report that is located in the "backpack" icon. Log-in and Passwords are the same ones they use to log in to the school computers and can be found in their planners.


2. Destination Sucess:

https://success.duvalschools.org/

Destination Success contains and entire collection of software for Reading and Math. To access the collection, once logged in, you have to click the Explorer link in the upper left corner of the screen. That will open a screen you can scroll down with different software selections. The software range from Kindergarten to the 12th grade. Therefore, an explore map is needed to find the content you want your child to work on. Teachers can also assign different assignments to the students based on individual needs.Log-in and Passwords are the same ones they use to log in to the school computers and can be found in their planners.


3. FCAT explorer

http://www.fcatexplorer.com/

Practice Makes Progress! That’s why the Florida Department of Education built FCAT Explorer—to provide practice for helping your child make real progress on the skills needed in the classroom, on the FCAT, and in life.

FUN, EFFECTIVE, AND FREE: FCAT Explorer is a set of free, Web-based practice programs. The content is built from the Sunshine State Standards that are tested on the FCAT. Kids can practice by themselves because the programs give them corrective feedback and learning guidance. Log-in and Password located in the planner.

Behavior Buck Challenge:

Here is your chance to give your teacher some feedback about these websites. Try each one out this week. Then come back and leave a comment. List the website in order of most favorite to least favorite (1 being your most favorite and 3 being your least favorite). Tell what skill you worked on at each site and what you liked and didn't like about it .

For Example:

1. FCAT Explorer: I worked on comparing and contrasting. I liked that it felt like I was playing a video game while I was learning. I didn't like that it took a long time to load in between each game.

You will earn 30 behavior bucks for doing this challenge. Happy Learning! I can't wait to hear back about what you think!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

1.fcat explorer reading skills I thought the storys were very intresting.And I dident think anything was wrong with the sight.

2.compass odyssey grammer I liked how it had so many different kinds of games.I dont think anything was wrong with the sight.

3.destination reading skills I liked that when you were stuck on a problem it gave you a hint.But I think it was very bad at explaning what to do.


Emma

Anonymous said...

1. compass odyssey:I worked on synonyms.I liked how fast it loaded,the jokes and backrounds made me laugh.I didn't like how it went over and over just a couple of words.

2. fcat explorer:I worked on reading oddesey.I like how much it makes you feel like you're taking a real test.I didn't like how every question was a right there question.

3. destination sucsess:I worked on destination reading.I didn't like when the robot[expert] talks,it's TOO LONG,and it isn't very guiding becauce you have to find the blinkinking botton.

Chloe ML#21

Anonymous said...

1. Liked FCAT Explorer the best because it explained why an answer was wrong. But I didn't like that it had me stop and think when I wanted to read more.

2. Next favorite was Compass Odyssey because I liked how it helped me when I needed help. I didn't like that one of the questions was confusing.

3. Destination Success was my least favorite because I liked that it told me how to find the main idea. I didn't like that it took sooooooooo long to complete.

Katelyn :)

Anonymous said...

1. On F-cat explorer I worked on reading skills and new words. What I liked about the site was that it entertained me,teach me more reading skills and taught me new information. I didn't like some of the stories because they were sad.
2. On Destination Success I worked on Biased and Balanced writing and Main Ideas.I liked that it taught me new information and i didn't liked that it took too long to load.
3. On Compass Odyssey I read stories. I liked that it made me practice making predictions. I didn't like that it was really long.

Mia ML7

Anonymous said...

1. Compass Odyssey
I worked on read, think, explain. I liked that we got to choose which one we did. I didn't dislike any.

2. Destination Success
I worked on bystanding. It didn't take long to load. I didn't like that there were 2 sessions in 1.

3. F-Cat Explorer
I worked on breaking up words. I liked that it didn't take long to load. I didn't like that the characters do not talk.

Emily O'Neal

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

1.)F-cat Explore i worked on my reading skills.I liked how the storys were very interesting.I did not like why you would have to stop in the middle of the stoy and anser questions. 2.)Compass oddessy i worked on poetry.I liked how the poems were very touching.I did not dislike any of it.3.)destination succses I worked Biased and balenced writing.I liked how it tought me new stuff.I didint like how it touck forever to load. Alex Bertozzi Ml#1

Anonymous said...

1compassodyssy was my favrote i liked everything.2destinationsucces was ok but was not good at explanlaning.3Fcat exploror well not to be rude but it was boaring. Matt.

Patricia Wallace said...

My child has been trying to make more of an effort to get onto Compass Odyssey for more practice. Thank you for giving them such an opportunity to continue to explore and grow.

Dorry Lopez said...

I am glad to hear that your child is working in Compass Odyssey! I have lots of skills just for her to practice. You are welcome for this opportunity. Thank you for your continued support!

Love,
Mrs. Lopez-Sinclair