Saturday, October 16, 2010

25 Book Campaign





25 Book Campaign

Students are required to read 25 books for the 4th grade school year. We break this down into the four 9- week grading periods and require each student to read 5 books on their own and write a 1-2 sentence main idea summary of each chapter of each book. This would give them 20 books for the year.


The remaining 5 books that are required will be read by their English Language Arts teacher throughout the year(Lopez-Sinclair and Launey) and each “read aloud” will be discussed and summarized together as a class. Writing a 1-2 sentence main idea summary for each paragraph is crucial in helping the reader comprehend what they read. It is a wonderful way to track their reading and go back and reread their previous summary to see where they left off before they begin to read again. When we model reading with our students, we stop after each paragraph and talk about what we just read. We do this again after each chapter. This is a beneficial strategy to build great comprehension! Happy Reading!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

im gonna be reading as much as ican to complete this chalenge

brady.w said...

im working as hard as i can TO GO TO THAT PARTY im getting that goal done

Anonymous said...

I just finished my 5 book goal so I can go celabrate!-BRITTANY

Anonymous said...

cant wait to for the suprise.

Dorry Lopez said...

Hey kiddos,
Who told you anything about a party? Reading and responding to five books is a requirement! Are you predicting or infering that there might be a party for those who meet their goal? Where is your evidence or your proof? Come on and tell where you got your information!

Happy Reading!

Love,
Mrs. Lopez-Sinclair

Mrs Mathis said...

I am so happy that Camden's interest in books has really elevated this year! She is particularly fond of the classics.
I am proud of her for rising to the challenge this time!

Dorry Lopez said...

Cathy,
I am also so very proud of Camden for reading the Classics! She loved reading Anne of Green Gables and also Little Women, which are two of my all-time favorites! She is doing such a fabulous job in her reading, and I can tell that she truly enjoys reading!

Love,
Mrs. Lopez-Sinclair

Natali M. said...

I am very happy that I finished my 5 book goal and I am almost done with Moby Dick!( My sixth book)
-Natali M.

Anonymous said...

I will go to the bingo party the picnic and see the princapal duck taped to the wall I have never missed a party and I never will!


Emma